First the bad news: the Festool OF 1010 router takes 1/4" and 8mm shank router bits - but not 1/2" shank bits.
Now for the good news! Despite my initial reservations, after using it, I can honestly say that this router is packed with so many great features that buying 8mm shank router bits is easily justified. For example, a bracket fits on the standard edge guide rods allowing the router to work with Festool Guide rails. When connected to a Festool Dust Extractor, the optional chip collector captures virtually every bit of debris when edge routing. Festool’s edge Guide is designed with an integral collection hood that feeds to a built-in collection port. An optional fine adjuster (with the green knob) fits perfectly on the guide rod and allows precise control of router position.
Many features, like Festool’s handy outboard support foot, or thoughtful depth control system, aren’t obvious until you start using the tool. The depth control system allows you to “zero” the bit against the work piece, set the desired cutting depth, then stop at that precise depth, even through multiple passes. You can even tweak the stop height in 1/256" increments with an extra precise fine adjuster once the stop is set. Like all Festool products, the OF 1010 EQ router is part of a system designed specifically to make woodworking more enjoyable and productive. An included guide block fits the Festool Guide rail system to allow deadly straight routing of grooves or dados, or even edge jointing. Cutting dovetails, box joints, or even dowel joints is easy with the Festool Dovetail Jig and its special purpose templates.
FEATURES AT A GLANCE
- Power consumption: 1010 watts/8.5 amp, 120v AC
- Horsepower: 1.4
- Quick depth adjustment range: 2-3/16" (55mm)
- Fine depth adjustment range: 5/16" (8mm)
- Weight: 5.94lbs. (2.7kg)
- Turret with three adjustable stops for simple selection of routing depths
- MMC electronics with soft start, constant speed under load, stepless speed adjustment and overload protection
T-Loc SYSTAINER CONTENTS
- 8mm (488755, for metric shank bits available from Festool) and 1/4" collets
- Guide stop (guide rail attachment, 488752)
- Guide bushing adaptor (469625)
- Chip catcher (493180)
- Collet Wrench
- #3 T-Loc Systainer (Festool Case, 497565)